Conference on Geometric Model Theory
Geometric Model Theory
A conference in honour of Boris Zilber, in celebration of his 60th birthday.
The long tradition of unfolding axioms for various kinds of geometry - Euclid, Descartes, non-Euclidean geometries, Tarski - had a highly influential revival in the development of the branch of model theory now known as geometric stability theory, by Zilber, Cherlin, Hrushovski, Pillay and others over the past 25 years. Stunning connections to arithmetic geometry, transcendental number theory, and even quantum mechanics have been found.
The object of the conference is to bring together the key figures as well as young researchers in this booming branch of model theory, to present and discuss the latest developments in the field.
There is some support for UK-based graduate students.
Speakers with slides or similar materials who have not done so are asked to mail them to bays [-at-] maths [dot] ox [dot] ac [dot] uk (Martin Bays). Please also send posters to the same address.
Some photos of the conference.
- Full Schedule
- March 25th, 2010: An instructional day, organised by MALOA for MALOA students, intended mainly for graduate students, with introductory lectures given by John Baldwin, Zoe Chatzidakis, Dugald Macpherson and David Marker.
- March 26th - 28th, 2010: The conference proper.
All talks took place in the Simpkins Lee Lecture Theatre at Lady Margaret Hall.
The conference dinner was at Lady Margaret Hall on Saturday March 27th, with a drinks reception at 19:00 in the Old Library followed by dinner at 19:30 in the Monson North Room.
There was a poster session on the evening of March 26 with posters displayed throughout the conference. Everybody, though in particular young researchers (including graduate students), were encouraged to bring their posters along. Some did.
DirectionsMap of central oxford showing location of Lady Margaret Hall and other places of interest.
- John Baldwin (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Martin Bays (University of Oxford)
- Oleg Belegradek (Istanbul Bilgi University)
- Elisabeth Bouscaren (Université Paris-Sud 11, Orsay)
- Zoe Chatzidakis (Université Paris 7)
- Gregory Cherlin (Rutgers University)
- David Evans (University of East Anglia)
- Mikhail Gavrilovich (St Petersburg)
- Assaf Hasson (Ben Gurion University)
- Ehud Hrushovski (Hebrew University)
- Piotr Kowalski (Wrocław University)
- Angus Macintyre (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Dugald Macpherson (University of Leeds)
- David Marker (University of Illinois at Chicago)
- Anand Pillay (University of Leeds)
- Bruno Poizat (Université Claude Bernard Lyon 1)
- Vladimir Tolstykh (Yeditepe University)
- Alex Wilkie (University of Manchester)
- Boris Zilber (University of Oxford)
ParticipantsList of participants
The conference was supported by
- The London Mathematical Society
- The British Logic Colloquium
- The Mathematical Institute, Oxford
- The European MALOA Network
- The Warden of Merton College, Dame Jessica Rawson
- Jochen Koenigsmann (Oxford) - koenigsmann_at_maths.ox.ac.uk
- Jonathan Kirby (University of East Anglia) - jonathan.kirby_at_uea.ac.uk