Obtaining Access to the Departmental IT Facilities
The majority of departmental IT facilities use the department's unified authentication system.
Note also that within the department you can access 3 different wireless networks, MATHS (requires departmental account), OWL (Oxford Wireless LAN system), Eduroam (very useful for roaming academics as you use an eduroam account not a local account).
To obtain a username and password for the maths systems you need to complete and return an
In general forms should be returned to the IT Officers pigeon hole in the St Giles' building (note - do not put them in the pigeon hole for the Head of ICT which is where processed forms go before they are filed). A returned form is processed and account details left for collection in the alphabetical pigeon holes in the St Giles building.
You can also return a form in person to an IT officer who, given available time, can open the account on the spot while you wait.
Accounts can also be preopened in some situations, e.g.
- For visitors - ask the individual to download a copy of the form, complete + sign it and return it (e.g. by post, by fax or by scanning and emailing it). In general the form should be returned either to the relevant research group secretary or the general visitor programme coordination secretary. This person should pass the form onto the IT team with an appropriate note so the account can be preopened and the detail left with an appropriate person for collection by the visitor on their arrival.
- For new Graduates - basic details of new postgraduate students are provided by the Academic Administration Team to the IT Team prior to the start of the academic year, accounts are preopened and returned to the Academic Administration Team. The Academic Administration Team will then hand out the account details in exchange for a completed and signed account application form. This typically occurs after the welcome meeting in 0th week.
- For new Undergraduates - prior to 2007 accounts were generated for undergraduates in a similar manner to those for graduate students. As of October 2007 undergraduates are taught mathematical computer packages using computer systems outside of the department and so generally do not need/use a dedicated Mathematical Institute username and password. Undergraduates are still welcome to an account within the department if needed in which case they should follow the standard application procedure explained above.
- For new academics - most new academics will obtain an account when they arrive but if you need an account beforehand to ease your move then contact the Head of ICT ( head-of-ict [-at-] maths [dot] ox [dot] ac [dot] uk).
- For new support staff - the relevant Line Manager/Team Leader, Admin Assistant or Head of Administration and Finance should contact the Head of ICT before the persons arrival to arrange for an account to be created and access to relevant resources configured.
Systems that do not (yet) use the departments unified authentication system include:
- Minerva classes system - academics should contact the Academic Administrator to obtain access
- Departmental eprints server - contact eprints [-at-] maths [dot] ox [dot] ac [dot] uk for a password
Once you have obtained an account we would recommend you look at