University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computing. Currently, I am working with Dr. Andy Wathen on the project ``The numerical linear algebra of approximation involving radial basis functions [M7]'' . I focus on radial basis functions and linear algebra which are related to computational issues on high dimentional approximation/interpolation and some meshfree methods. Before I joined Oxford, I worked on minimizing communications in sparse linear solvers for supercomputers in China.
I love math---mathematics is my second language, but I will more love mathematics without equations. My tools are pencil, paper and computer; my goal are formulas, figures and papers. I am serving as a math reviewer for AMS.
2011(HT): Tutor Assistant for Part A Numerical Analysis
2011(HT): Tutor Assistant for B21b Numerical Solution of Differential Equation II
2010(MT): Tutor Assistant for C12.1a Numerical Linear Algebra
Major / Recent Publications:
- S Zhu and A. J. Wathen, Fast sparse kernel summation on Cartesian grids.
- S Zhu and A. J. Wathen. Convexity and solvability for compactly supported radial basis functions with different shapes
- Sheng-xin Zhu, Tong-xiang Gu, and Xing-ping Liu, Minimizing synchronizations in sparse iterative solvers for distributed supercomputers Computer and Mathematics with Applications, 61(1) 2014, p.199-p.209.
- Andrew J. Wathen, Sheng-xin Zhu, On the spectral distribution of kernel matrices related to radial basis functions. | NA report
- Sheng-xin Zhu, Tong-xiang Gu, Xing-ping Liu, Solving inverse eigenvalue problem via Householder and rank-one Matrices. Linear Algebra and its Application. 430(2009) pp.318-334. | PDF
- Sheng-xin Zhu, Parallel GPBiCG(m,l) Algorithm and Preconditioning Techniques, Thesis (in Chinese) , 2010, June, It can also be found in (Database of Chinese outstanding master's degree thesis).
- Small dot, big challenge: on the new benchmark of Top500 and Green500.|PDF.
- On the spectral distribution of kernel matrices related to radial basis function, International conferenc on Approximation Theorey and Application, May 20-24, 2013, City University of Hongkong.
- Conditioning and smoothness matching related to radial basis functions, 3rd IMA Conference on Numerical Linear Algebra and Optimisation, Birmingham, 10 September - Wednesday 12 September 2012
- Inner product computation for sparse iterative solvers on heterogeneous supercomputers PMAA 2012, 28-30 June 2012, (co-work with T. Gu and X. Liu).
- Which is the most important kernel for sparse linear solvers on heterogeneous supercomputers SNSCC12, 18 May, 2012.
- Numerical linear algebra of approximation involving radial basis functions, 24th NA Biennial Conference, Strathclyde. 2011 June.