The number theory group is expanding, and keen to attract new postgraduate students. In addition to the usual number theory seminars that are organised each week of term, we organise a weekly junior number theory seminar. The emphasis on the latter is a low pressure environment in which students take turns to give talks. We also hold an annual Number Theory Day at the start of the academic year, at which memebers of the group give talks about their current interests .
Although it is not essential, potential applicants are advised to make informal email contact with their prospective supervisor(s) before making their application. In particular, it may turn out that some faculty members are unable to take on further students, or are not interested in particular areas of study.
The following is a list of members of the department who are willing to take on new graduate students.
Research area - Arithmetic Geometry, Jacobians of Curves
- Andy Stubbs (Thesis title - Hyperelliptic Curves - PhD, Liverpool, 2000)
- Joanne Redmond (Thesis title - Coverings of Families of Curves of Genus 2 - PhD, Liverpool, 2001)
- Anna Arnth-Jensen
- Frank Gounelas
Ben Green will probably not be taking any new research students this year.
Roger Heath-Brown will NOT be taking any new research students.
- C. Ringrose (Thesis title - The q-analogue of van der Corput's method - DPhil, 1985)
- C. Pinner (Thesis title - Topics in analytic number theory - MSc, 1989)
- S. Dyke(Thesis title - Topics in analytic number theory - DPhil, 1992)
- C.-R. Guo (Thesis title - Solvability of Quadratic Equations - DPhil, 1993)
- D. Shiu (Thesis title - Prime numbers in Arithmetic Progressions - DPhil, 1996)
- A. Peck (Thesis title - On the differences between consecutive primes- DPhil, 1996)
- T. Rhodewald
- J. Haugland (Thesis title - Application of sieve methods to prime numbers - DPhil, 1998)
- T. Browning (Thesis title - Counting rational points on curves and surfaces - DPhil, 2001)
- L. Pierce (Thesis title - The 3-part of class numbers of quadratic fields - MSc, 2004)
- G. Marasingha (Thesis title - On pairs of quadratic forms - DPhil, 2005)
- Nic Niedermowwe (Thesis title - Zeros of forms with S-unit argument - DPhil, 2008)
- F.-S. Leung (Thesis Title - Manin's Conjecture On A Non-singular Quartic del Pezzo Surface - DPhil, 2008)
- T. Trudgian (Thesis title - Further Results on Gram's Law - DPhil, 2009)
- J. Zahid (Thesis title - Zeros of p-adic Forms - DPhil, 2009)
- W. Schlackow (Thesis title - A sieve problem over the Gaussian integers - DPhil, 2011)
- J. Bredberg (Thesis title - On large gaps between consecutive zeros, on the critical line, of some
zeta-functions - DPhil, 2011)
- J. Maynard (Thesis title - Topics in analytic number theory - DPhil, 2013)
- A. Irving (Thesis title - Topics in analytic number theory - DPhil, 2014)
Research area - computational number theory, elliptic curves, modular forms
- George Walker (DPhil, 2010)
- Sebastian Pancratz (DPhil, 2012)
Minhyong Kim will probably not be taking any research students this year.
Research area - Applications of model theory in Diophantine geometry
- Andrew Potter
- Lee Butler
- Adam Harris (joint supervision with Prof. Zilber)
Research area - Harmonic Analysis, Additive Combinatorics, Analytic Number Theory
No current or past students