Conflict of Interest Policy

Conflict of Interest Policy

The University’s Conflict of Interest policy requires all staff, students, and others working at the university to recognise and disclose activities that might give rise to actual or perceived conflicts of interest. Please ensure that you are familiar with the requirements of the policy. 

The policy, including a useful summary covering the key points, is available on the University's Conflict of Interest website.

A conflict can occur when your university duties compete with your personal interests or your duties to other people or organisations. Actual or perceived conflicts can arise from external activities that are undertaken in addition to your university role, personal relationships, or conflicting roles within the collegiate university. They can be financial, non-financial or both.

If you have any queries, please contact Dr Jocasta Gardner.


Approval for outside appointments

All staff must seek prior permission from the Head of Department to hold outside appointments or conduct any outside work. Staff should submit Form OA1 to seek permission.


Form OA1 and the University’s policy are available here:  

This includes proposed extensions to existing activity if it has not been specifically approved by the Head of Department for a particular Academic Year. If you are not sure if a particular activity has been approved for an Academic Year, please check with Brenda Willoughby or submit a new Form OA1. Forms should be submitted to Sally Mullins.

All academic and academic-related staff and emeriti who are actively engaged in research at the University must seek prior approval from their Head of Department to:

(a) hold an outside appointment or

(b) hold an underlying appointment with a previous employer, at times when they would be expected to be working for the University

c) set up or take a financial interest in any business or other external entity not publicly listed on a stock exchange and which could be conceived as creating a conflict of interest

(d) undertake consulting

(e) become a director of an external entity

(f) hold a stake in any external entity which could give rise to a perceived or actual conflict of interest with their University role.

You must use form OA1 to seek prior approval for any of the above before entering into any formal commitments (in line with Council Regulations 5 of 2004).

Note that acting as an external examiner (and other activities normally arising from scholarly work, which do not involve a formal and continuing contract) does not require the Head of Department’s prior approval. If in doubt, please ask.

If you have any queries, contact Dr Jocasta Gardner.