Assistant professor at Kuwait University
+44 1865 283894
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
- Oxygen transport in skeletal and cardiac muscle tissues
- Nonlinear reaction-diffusion equations
- Multiple scales & Homogenisation
GULF UNIVERSITY FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Fall/Spring 2005-06: Teaching Assistant
Duties: Intermediate Algebra Labs, Placement Test Preparation, Invigilation of maths exams
Fall 2006: Part-time Instructor
Duties: Intermediate & College Algebra Labs, Trigonometry Tutorial, Invigilation of maths exams
Fall 2006: Scientific Assistant
Duties: Tutor & marker for calculus I-II, and invigilator for maths exams.
Spring 2007: Scientific Assistant
Duties: Tutor & marker for calculus I-II, marker for ODEs, and invigilator for maths exams.
Spring 2015 - present: Assistant Professor
Duties: Lecturer for calculus I-III, biomathematics, mathematical modeling, theory of ODEs, and special topics in biomathematics.
Michaelmas 2010: Marker for C6.3a Perturbation Methods
Hilary 2011: Marker for B5b Applied Partial Differential Equations
Michaelmas 2012: Marker for the Mathematics Admissions Test (MAT)
Michaelmas 2012: Interviewer for Maths admissions at Brasenose College
Michaelmas 2013: Interviewer for Maths admissions at Brasenose College
Prizes, awards, and scholarships:
- Honorary certificate, The National Society for Collegiate Scholars, 2003.
- Creighton University's academic honor, summa cum laude, 2005.
- Dean's List 2002-2005, College of Arts & Sciences, Creighton University.
- Distinguished Scholar Awards ($1825 /year), Kuwait's Ministry of Higher Education, 2002-05.
- Landahl-Busenberg Travel Award ($731), The Society of Mathematical Biology (SMB), 2013.
- Linacre House Trust Travel Award (£300), Linacre College, University of Oxford, 2013.
- Conference Travel Grant (£750), The Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, 2013.
- ESM Young Investigator Award (£350), Joint Meeting of the 27th European Society for Microcirculation (ESM) & 7th European Vascular Biology Organisation (EVBO) at the International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS) Conference, Birmingham, UK 2013.
- ESM & EVBO Poster Award (£100), Joint Meeting of the 27th European Society for Microcirculation (ESM) & 7th European Vascular Biology Organisation (EVBO) at the International Union of Physiological Sciences (IUPS) Conference, Birmingham, UK 2013.
- Undergraduate scholarship (2000-05) awarded by MOHE, Kuwait.
- MS graduate scholarship (2007-2009) awarded by Kuwait University.
- PhD graduate scholarship (2010-2014) awarded by Kuwait University.
- 2009 Summer Research Fellowship at the Kuwait-MIT Center for Natural Resources and the Environment in MIT. Awarded by KFAS, Kuwait.
Major / recent publications:
- A. A. Al-Shammari, E. A. Gaffney, S. Egginton (2012), Re-evaluating the use of Voronoi tessellations in the assessment of oxygen supply from capillaries in muscle, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 74(9), 2204-2231, DOI: 10.1007/s11538-012-9753-x.
- A. A. Al-Shammari, E. A. Gaffney, S. Egginton (2014), Modelling capillary oxygen supply capacity in mixed muscles: capillary domains revisited, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 7(356):47-61, DOI:10.1016/j.jtbi.2014.04.016.
- A. A. Al-Shammari, E. A. Gaffney, S. Egginton (2014), Modelling oxygen capillary supply to striated muscle tissues, In: A. R. Ansari (Ed.), Advances in Applied Mathematics, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics, 87: 13-21, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-06923-4_2.
- Hauton, D., Winter, J., Al-Shammari, A. A., Gaffney, E. A., Evans, R. D., & Egginton, S. (2015). Changes to both cardiac metabolism and performance accompany acute reductions in functional capillary supply. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects, 1850(4), 681-690, DOI: 10.1016/j.bbagen.2014.12.014.
- Hauton, D., Al-Shammari, A., Gaffney, E. A., & Egginton, S. (2015). Maternal hypoxia decreases capillary supply and increases metabolic inefficiency leading to divergence in myocardial oxygen supply and demand. PloS ONE, 10(6), e0127424, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0127424.
- Al-Shammari, A. A., Kissane, R. W., Holbek, S., Mackey, A. L., Andersen, T. R., Gaffney, E. A., ... & Egginton, S. (2019). An integrated method for quantitative morphometry and oxygen transport modelling in striated muscle. Journal of Applied Physiology, 126(3), 544-557, DOI: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00170.2018.
- A. A. Al-Shammari, E. A. Gaffney, S. Egginton, On the effect of mitochondrial spatial clustering on oxygen transport in mixed muscles (Submitted).
- A. A. Al-Shammari, E. A. Gaffney, S. Egginton, On the representation of capillary supply by Voronoi polygons in the presence of mitochondrial clustering in mixed mucles (Submitted).