+44 1865 273577
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
I am interested in mathematical modelling of real-world systems, and primarily in fluid and solid mechanics. My work involves a combination of asymptotics and numerical methods.
I am currently studying dynamic wrinkling in elastic sheets - such as when an elastic sheet floating on the surface of a liquid is deformed with an indenter - together with Finn Box and Dominic Vella.
In my PhD, I studied the production of thin glass sheets via the redraw process in collaboration with Schott AG. In the redraw process, a prefabricated sheet of glass is reheated and stretched to a desired thickness. This stretching can lead to undesired effects, such as non-uniform thickness and out-of-plane deformations.
- Introductory Calculus,
Fourier Series and PDEs,
Waves and Compressible Flow,
Topics in Fluid Mechanics.
Major / recent publications:
D. O’Kiely, C. J. W. Breward, I. M. Griffiths, P. D. Howell & U. Lange (2019). Out-of-plane buckling in two-dimensional glass drawing. Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- D. O'Kiely, C. J. W. Breward, I. M. Griffiths, P. D. Howell & U. Lange (2018). Glass sheet redraw through a long heater zone. IMA Journal of Applied Mathematics
- M. P. Dalwadi, D. O'Kiely, S. J. Thomson, T. S. Khaleque & C. L. Hall (2017). Mathematical modeling of chemical agent removal by reaction with an immiscible cleanser. SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics.
- D. O’Kiely, C. J. W. Breward, I. M. Griffiths, P. D. Howell & U. Lange (2015). Edge behaviour in the glass sheet redraw process. Journal of Fluid Mechanics.
- D. O’Kiely, J. P. Whiteley, J. M. Oliver, & D. Vella (2015). Inertial rise of a meniscus on a vertical cylinder. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 768, R2.
- L. Ó Náraigh, & D. O’Kiely (2013). Homogenization theory for periodic potentials in the Schrödinger equation. European Journal of Physics, 34(1), 19.
- M. Dalwadi et al. Toxic Chemicals and their Neutralising Agents in Porous Media.