+44 1865 615315
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
Data fitting on matrix manifolds.
Applications of Riemannian geometry (EEG decoding, model order reduction, wind field modeling).
Optimization (unconstrained or constrained to manifolds).
- Neural networks: use of "manifold" constraints, e.g., weights restricted to low-rank or orthogonal manifolds in deep neural networks and its impact on convergence of the optimization algorithm in the training step and on the generalization error.
I have been a teaching assistant for the following courses (at UCLouvain):
- LINMA2361 Nonlinear dynamical systems (2019)
- LINMA1510 Automatique linéaire (2018, 2019)
- LINMA2875 System Identification (2016 - 2019)
- LFSAB1803 Sciences humaines - Economie de l'entreprise (2016, 2017)
- LFSAB1103 Mathématiques 3 (2016, 2017)
- LINMA2370 Modelling and analysis of dynamical systems (2015 - 2017)
- LINMA2171 Numerical analysis : approximation, interpolation, integration (2015, 2019)
Prizes, awards, and scholarships:
Best junior presentation award - Benelux meeting on Systems and Control, Soesterberg, The Netherlands, 2016.
Major / recent publications:
- A. Musolas, E. Massart, J. M. Hendrickx, P.-A. Absil, Y. Marzouk, Low-rank multi-parametric covariance estimation, Technical report, 2019.
- E. Massart, P.-A. Absil,
Quotient geometry with simple geodesics for the manifold of fixed-rank positive-semidefinite matrices,
SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications 41(1), pp. 171-198, 2020.
Code available in the Manopt toolbox
- P.-Y. Gousenbourger, E. Massart, P.-A. Absil,
Data fitting on manifolds with composite Bézier-like curves and blended cubic splines,
Journal of Mathematical Imaging and Vision, 61(5), pp. 645-671, 2019.
- E. M. Massart, J. M. Hendrickx, P-A. Absil,
Matrix geometric means based on shuffled inductive sequences,
Linear Algebra and its Applications, 252, pp. 334-359, 2018. [Code]
- B. Szczapa, M. Daoudi, S. Berretti, A. Del Bimbo, P. Pala, E. Massart,
Fitting, Comparison, and Alignment of Trajectories on Positive Semi-Definite Matrices with Application to Action Recognition,
Human Behavior Understanding workshop, satellite workshop of ICCV, 2019.
- E. Massart, J. M. Hendrickx, P.-A. Absil,
Curvature of the manifold of fixed-rank positive-semidefinite matrices endowed with the Bures-Wasserstein metric,
GSI 2019, pp.739-748.
- N. Thanh Son, P.-Y. Gousenbourger, E. Massart, P.-A. Absil,
Online balanced truncation for linear time-varying systems using continuously differentiable interpolation on Grassmann manifold,
- E. Massart, P.-Y. Gousenbourger, N. Thanh Son, T. Stykel, P.-A. Absil,
Interpolation on the manifold of fixed-rank positive-semidefinite matrices for parametric model order reduction: preliminary results,
ESANN 2019, pp. 281-286.
- E. Massart, S. Chevallier,
Inductive means and sequences applied to online classication of EEG,
GSI 2017, pp. 763-770. [Talk]
- P.-Y. Gousenbourger, E. Massart, A. Musolas, P.-A. Absil, J. M. Hendrickx, L. Jacques, Y. Marzouk,
Piecewise-Bezier C1 smoothing on manifolds with application to wind field estimation.
ESANN, 2017, pp. 305-310.
- E. M. Massart, J. M. Hendrickx, P.-A. Absil,
Extending a two-variable mean to a multi-variable mean,
ESANN2016, pp. 101-106. [Code]