University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
My research focuses on the development and analysis of mathematical and computational models that describe biomedical systems, with particular application to the growth and treatment of solid tumours, wound healing and tissue engineering. My aims in studying such models are two-fold: to identify the mechanisms responsible for observed biomedical phenomena and to abstract from the resulting mathematical models novel features that merit theoretical investigation.
University of Oxford
Oxford OX2 6GG
- B5.2: Applied Partial Differential Equations
Major / Recent Publications:
- F Spill, P Guerrero, T Alarcon, PK Maini, HM Byrne (2014). Mesoscopic and continuum modelling of angiogenesis. J Math Biol (Published online: March 2014)
- RJ Dyson, JEF Green, JP Whiteley and HM Byrne (2015). An investigation of the influence of extracellular matrix anisotropy and cell-matrix interactions on tissue architecture. J Math Biol (in pres).
- VS Zubkov, AN Coombes, KM Short, K Lefevre, NA Hamilton, IM Smyth, MH Little and HM Byrne (2015). A spatially-averaged mathematical model of kidney branching morphogenesis. J Theor Biol 379: 24-37.
- P Guerrero, HM Byrne, PK Maini and T Alarcon (2015). From invasion to latency: intracellular noise and cell motility as key controls of the competition between resource-limited cellular populations. J Math Biol, doi: 10.1007/s00285-015-0883-2
- AL MacLean, Z Rosen, HM Byrne, HA Harrington (2015). Parameter-free methods distinguish Wnt pathway models and guide design of experiments. PNAS, 10.1073/pnas.1416655112.
- J Visser, FPW Melchels, JE Jeon, EM van Bussel, LS Kimpton, HM Byrne, WJA Dhert, PD Dalton, DW Hutmacher, J Malda (2015). Reinforcement of hydrogels using three-dimensionally printed microfibers. Nature Communications doi:10.1038/ncomms7933
- OJ MacLaren, HM Byrne, AJ Fletcher and PK Maini (2015). Models, measurement and inference in epithelial tissue dynamics. Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering (special issue of journal, in press).
- JL Dunster, HM Byrne and JR King (2014). The resolution of inflammation: a mathematical model of neutrophil and macrophage interactions. Bull Math Biol. 76: 1953-1980.
- RD O’Dea, MR Nelson, AJ El-Haj, SL Waters and HM Byrne (2014). A multiscale analysis of nutrient transport and biological tissue growth in vitro. Math Med Biol. (doi: 10.1093/imammb/dqu015)
- L Bowden, PK Maini, DE Moulton, X. Wang, JB Tang, P Liu , HM Byrne (2014). An ordinary differential equation model for full thickness wounds and the effects of diabetes. J Theor Biol.361(21): 87-100.