+44 1865 283887
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
On the contact-line dynamics of a uniformly evaporating or condensing thin sessile drop
European Journal of Applied Mathematics
A note on oblique slamming
Journal of Engineering Mathematics
Three dimensional oblique water-entry problems at small deadrise angles
Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012)
Boundary conditions for free surface inlet and outlet problems
Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012)
Cellular blebs: pressure-driven, axisymmetric, membrane protrusions.
Biomechanics and modeling in mechanobiology issue 2 volume 13 page 463-476 (April 2014)
A note on oblique water entry
Journal of Engineering Mathematics issue 1 volume 81 page 67-74 (1 August 2013)
Erratum to The screen printing of a power-law fluid (J Eng Math (2012), 73 (93-119))
Journal of Engineering Mathematics issue 1 volume 74 page 207- (1 June 2012)
The screen printing of a power-law fluid (vol 73, pg 93, 2012)
JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS issue 1 volume 74 page 207-207 (June 2012) Full text available
Dr Oliver's research is predominantly in fluid dynamics and the application of asymptotic methods to free and moving boundary problems in industry, engineering and biology. Research topics include violent surface motion, thin-film flows, droplet evaporation, cell motility, cellular blebbing and tissue engineering.
- Laura Kimpton, Mathematical modelling of self-propelled cell motion on biomaterial surfaces (OCCAM D.Phil student 2009-2012), with Sarah Waters (OCIAM) and Jonathan Whiteley (Computational Biology);
- Matthew Moore, New mathematical models of splash dynamics in water entry (OCCAM D.Phil student 2010-2013), with Sam Howison (OCIAM) and John Ockendon (OCIAM);
- Natalie Pearson, Mathematical modelling of cell distribution in hollow fibre membrane bioreactors (OCIAM D.Phil student 2011-2014), with Sarah Waters (OCIAM) and Rebecca Shipley (Mechanical Engineering, UCL);
- Mohit Dalwadi, Mathematical modelling of flow and transort in a rotating disc bioreactor (OCIAM D.Phil student 2012-2013), with Sarah Waters (OCIAM) and Jon Chapman (OCIAM);
- Matthew Saxton, Mathematical modelling of droplet evaporation (OCCAM D.Phil student 2012--2015), with Dominic Vella (OCCAM) and Jonathan Whiteley (Computational Biology, Oxford)
- Dr Thomas Whooley, A new mechanism for motility: the role of the bleb (OCCAM PDRA 2012-2014), with Alain Goriely (OCCAM), Eamonn Gaffney (CMB), Ruth Baker (CMB) and Sarah Waters (OCIAM).
Dr Oliver studied for a BA in Mathematics, an MSc in Mathematical Modelling and Numerical Analysis and a DPhil in Applied Mathematics at St Anne's College, Oxford (1994-2001). His postdoc years (2001-2007) were spent in the Division of Applied Mathematics and the Bioengineering Group at the University of Nottingham, where he held an EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Mathematics (2004 - 2007) and a complementary Research Fellowship of the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 (2004-2006). He returned to Oxford in 2007 for a University Research Lectureship in Applied Mathematics, and began a University Lectureship in Applied Mathematics in association with Jesus College in 2008.
Physical Applied Mathematics.
Departmental stint: MSc Mathematical Modelling Classes (2008-2010), B6a Viscous Flow (2008-2011), C6.3b Applied Complex Variables (2010-2012), C6.3s Perturbation Methods (2012-2014).
College stint: Prelims Introductory Calculus, Geometry, Dynamics, Fourier Series and PDEs, Multivariable Calculus, Applications; Part A Differential Equations.
Prizes, Awards, and Scholarships:
Major / Recent Publications:
- M. Taroni, C.J.W. Breward, P.D. Howell, J.M. Oliver, Boundary conditions for free surface inlet and outlet problems, J. Fluid. Mech. (2012) DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2012.275.
- L.R. Band, J.M. Oliver, S.L. Waters, D.S. Riley, Steady symmetric low-Reynolds-number flow past a film-coated cylinder. Euro. J. Appl. Math. (2012), DOI :10.1017/S0956792512000289.
- M.R. Moore, S.D. Howison, J.R. Ockendon, J.M. Oliver, Three-dimensional oblique water-entry problems at small deadrise angles. J. Fluid. Mech. (2012) DOI: 10.1017/jfm.2012.391.
- M.R. Moore, S.D. Howison, J.R. Ockendon, J.M. Oliver, A note on oblique water-entry, J. Eng. Math. (2012) 711, p.259-280.
- L.S. Kimpton, J.P. Whiteley, S.L. Waters, J.R. King, J.M. Oliver, Multiple travelling wave solutions in a minimal model for cell motility, Math. Med. Biol. (2012), DOI: 10.1093/imammb/dqs023.
- A.L. Hazel, M. Heil, S.L. Waters, J.M. Oliver, On the liquid lining of fluid conveying curved tubes, J. Fluid Mech. (2012), 705, p.213--233.
- M. Taroni, C.J.W. Breward, P.D. Howell, J.M. Oliver, R.J.S. Young, The screen printing of a power-law fluid, J. Eng. Math. (2012), 73, p.93--119.