The departmental membership categories are:
- Academic Faculty — direct employment relationship with the department and involved in teaching and/or research run by the department (e.g.Stat Profs, Readers, ULs, CUFs, DLs, RSIV, G9 + G10 Researchers, Career Development Fellows) + ex officio Director of UG Studies, and Faculty Teaching Advisor.
- Affiliate Faculty — no (or casual/very minimal) direct contractual relationship with the department but still involved in teaching and/or research run by the department AND has an employment contract elsewhere in the university. Must be proposed/accepted/adopted by a research group. Note the department determines whether they are affiliate faculty or researcher rather than the individual explicitly applying for one or the other.
- Research Fellow — contractual relationship with the department (either direct employment or contractual relationship between funder and department) and engaged in independant research.
- PDRA — direct employment relationship with the department and engaged on a specific research project in the department.
- Affiliate Researcher — no (or casual/very minimal) direct contractual relationship with the department but employed elsewhere in the university and wishing to be involved in departmental activities (e.g. JRFs, college lecturers). Must be proposed/accepted/adopted by a research group. Note the department determines whether they are affiliate faculty or researcher rather than the individual explicitly applying for one or the other.
- Emeritus & Retired Staff — Accepted under the emeritus/retired staff process (typically previously been Academic Faculty and now retired from the department but in exceptional cases can be emeritus/retired academics who did not hold a status in this department at retirement).
- Admin & Support — direct employment relationship with the department in an admin/support role.
- Visitorships (Visiting Professorship, Visiting Research Fellowship or Visiting Lectureship) — invited under a
formal university or department scheme.
- Academic Visitor:
- Long Term Visitor — invited through normal departmental visitor programme, including approval by Executive Committee, for a visit of more than 3 months (includes postdocs and research fellows who hold funds abroad and spend 3+ months here although if the department is to be their only or primary base then they should be redirected through the normal research fellow procedures).
- Short Term Visitor — invited through normal departmental visitor programme for a visit of less than 3 months.
- Student Visitor — if coming for more than 3 months then directed down the recognised student process and
hence through academic admin, if coming for less than 3 months directed down the short study visit route.
- Summer Students — department needs more awareness in this area, at the very least personnel need a record
and visa checks need to be confirmed.
Note the status categories defined above are about membership of the department. In addition to those categories we also have no-status categories:
- Teaching Staff — e.g. people in Stats, Comp Sci, Philosophy, colleges etc whose involvement with the department is purely teaching related due to joint courses.
- External/Collaborator — people who are not members but have been granted some basic level of (IT) access and/or facilities, e.g. ongoing collaborators whose collaboration requires access to systems/services the department provides, people who ask for a short transitional period before starting elsewhere, regular external guest lecturers, people who do not need a status category that suggests more importance yet do need some level of access.
Note in general people are only in one category but there are corner cases/exceptions who are in multiple categories.
Changes of status typically occur for several reasons:
- postgrad becomes a PDRA
- PDRA becomes a Research Fellow
- Research Fellow or PDRA becomes Academic Faculty
- Affiliated individual changes job and becomes a formal employee of the department (e.g. Academic moves from Stats or Comp Sci to Maths)
- Academic Faculty retire and hence can become Emeritus & Retired Staff
- PDRA, Research Fellow or Academic Faculty leave formal employment with the department but retain a connection and hence become either Affiliate Researcher, Affiliated Faculty, Teaching Staff or External depending on the situation
In all these cases there is an underlying personnel process.