Professor of Applied Mathematics
Associate Head of Department, Planning and Equality and Diversity
Tutorial Fellow and Senior Mathematics Tutor, Keble College
Director of Equality and Diversity, MPLS Division
Examiner for Final Honour School Mathematics (Panel B)
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
Three-dimensional biological cultures and organoids
Interface Focus issue 2 volume 10 page 20200014-20200014 (6 April 2020)
A three phase model to investigate the effects of dead material on the growth of avascular tumours
Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena issue 1 volume 15 (18 March 2020)
Chaste: cancer, heart and soft tissue environment
Journal of Open Source Software issue 47 volume 5 page 1848-1848 (13 March 2020)
A mathematical framework for developing freezing protocols in the cryopreservation of cells
SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics issue 2 volume 80 page 657-689 (3 March 2020)
Decomposing the parameter space of biological networks via a numerical discriminant approach
MC 2019: Maple in Mathematics Education and Research page 114-131 (28 February 2020)
My research focuses on the development and analysis of mathematical and computational models that describe biomedical systems, with particular application to the growth and treatment of solid tumours, wound healing and tissue engineering. My aims in studying such models are two-fold: to identify the mechanisms responsible for observed biomedical phenomena and to abstract from the resulting mathematical models novel features that merit theoretical investigation.
University of Oxford
Oxford OX2 6GG
- M5: Multivariable calculus
- B5.2: Applied Partial Differential Equations
- B5.5: Further Mathematical Biology
Prizes, awards, and scholarships:
2019: Leah Edelstein-Keshet Prize (Senior Award), Society for Mathematical Biology
Major / recent publications:
- HZ Ford, HM Byrne and MR Myerscough (2019). A lipid-structured model for macrophage populations in atherosclerotic plaques. J Theor Biol 479: 48-63.
- MJ Chen, LS Kimpton, JP Whiteley, M Castilho, J Malda, CP Please, SL Waters and HM Byrne (2018). Multiscale modelling and homogenisation of fibre-reinforced hydrogels for tissue engineering. European Journal of Applied Mathematics, 1-29. (doi:10.1017/S0956792518000657).
TD Lewin, H Enderling, EG Moros, PK Maini and HM Byrne (2018). The legacy of hypoxia on tumour responses to fractionated radiotherapy. Bull Math Biol. 80(5): 1207-1235
JA Grogan, AJ Connor, JM Pitt-Frances, PK Maini and HM Byrne (2018). The importance of geometry in the corneal micropocket angiogenesis assay. PLoS Comp Biol 14(3): e1006049.
S Pillay, HM Byrne and PK Maini (2018). The impact of volume exclusion processes on angiogenesis models. J Math Biol. 77(6-7): 1721-1759.
B Lambert, AL MacLean, AG Fletcher, AN Combes, MH Little, HM Byrne (2018). Bayesian inference of agent-based models: a tool for studying kidney branching morphogenesis. J Math Biol 76(7): 1673-1697.
OJ Maclaren, A Parker, C Pin, SR Carding, AJM Watson, AG Fletcher, HM Byrne, PK Maini (2017). A hierarchical Bayesian model for understanding the spatiotemporal dynamics of the intestinal epithelium. PLoS Comp Biol 13(7): e1005688.
- SK Kay, HA Harrington, S Shepherd, K Brennan, T Dale, JM Osborne, DJ Gavaghan, HM Byrne (2017). The role of the Hes1 crosstalk hub in Notch-Wnt interactions of the intestinal crypt. PLoS Comp Biol. 13(2): e1005400.
- AL MacLean, Z Rosen, HM Byrne, HA Harrington (2015). Parameter-free methods distinguish Wnt pathway models and guide design of experiments. PNAS, 10.1073/pnas.1416655112.
- J Visser, FPW Melchels, JE Jeon, EM van Bussel, LS Kimpton, HM Byrne, WJA Dhert, PD Dalton, DW Hutmacher, J Malda (2015). Reinforcement of hydrogels using three-dimensionally printed microfibers. Nature Communications doi:10.1038/ncomms7933