Professor Emeritus of Engineering Science. Visiting Professor in Physics, Imperial College, London.
+44 1865 280619
University of Oxford
Andrew Wiles Building
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
Propagation of periodic wave trains along the magnetic field in a collision-free plasma
Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical issue 42 volume 53 (2 October 2020)
Solitary and periodic waves in collisionless plasmas: the Adlam-Allen model revisited
Physical Review E issue 1-1 volume 102 page 013209- (20 July 2020)
A study of the propagation of a solitary wave along the magnetic field in a cold collision-free plasma
Physics of Plasmas issue 4 volume 27 (2 April 2020)
Simulated dynamics of a plasma-sheath-liquid interface
New Journal of Physics issue 6 volume 21 (4 June 2019)
The Bennett pinch for non-relativistic electrons
Journal of Plasma Physics issue 6 volume 84 page 905840609- (26 November 2018)
- Dusty Plasmas
- Plasma boundaries and the Bohm criterion
- Plasmas created by ultra-violet light
- Magnetic confinement revisited
- The propagation of strong collision-free magnetohydrodynamic waves
References (to illustrate the above topics)
- Allen, J.E., On supersonic flow around an obstacle, 2013, J. Plasma Phys., 79, 315.
- Allen, J.E., The plasma boundary in a magnetic field, 2008, Contrib. Plasma Phys., 48, 400.
- Franklin, R.N. et al, Plasmas generated by ultra-violet light rather than electron impact, 2013, Phys. Plasmas, 20, 123508.
- Allen, J.E., The Bennett pinch revisited, 2010, 37th E.P.S. Conference on Plasma Physics, E.C.A., 34 A, P4.181.