Initial Induction Info
The induction document includes some initial/background info for new users, e.g. account closure, privacy info, systems and storage available, green IT, personal machines, getting IT help and basic safety.
Computing Help and Notices
IT notices, including various policies and rules can be found at
In particular see:
- IT policy - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/it-notices-policies/it-policy
- Information security policy - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/it-notices-policies/information-se...
- Service Policy - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/it-notices-policies/service-policy
- How to get IT Support - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/support
Further information about the system and obtaining help can be found on the web at
and in particular in the frequently asked questions section - http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs
Items of particular interest to a new user might be
- Laptop / Wifi connection - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/connection/personal-device-wi...
- Departmental IT account password changer - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/change_password
- Departmental out of hours access PIN changer - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/change_pin
- Department Zimbra email system - https://zimbra.maths.ox.ac.uk
- Email - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/communication
- Email forwarding - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/communication/email-forwarding
- Email security and phishing advice - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/communication/phishing
- Website profile and personal pages - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/www/personal-web-space
- Machines available - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/machines
- Printers available - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/printers
- Scanners available - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/scanners
- Compute facilities - http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/machines/compute-terminal-services
- Remote Access to IT Services - http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/remote-access
- Basic UNIX guide - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/miscellaneous/basic-unix
- Disk quotas and scratch disks - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/files/quotas
- LaTeX - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/latex
- Software for personal machines - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/software-personal-machines
- Departmental electronic mailing lists - https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/communication/mailing-lists
Since you have an account people will assume you check it for email and as such may send important messages to it (e.g. about your computer account or course information). If you do not intend to regularly check you Mathematical Institute computer account for email then you should set it to forward to an address you do check regularly (see https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/communication/email-forwarding).
Account Expiry and Extension
When your account is created an expiry date is set. At 28, 7 and 1 days prior to this expiry date an email is sent to the account to remind you it is expiring and to provide info on how to ask for an extension if required. The automated email also tells you how to setup email forwarding to last for one year after the account expires if the account itself is no longer needed.