The recommended method of reporting a problem with the computing facilities is to email @email. There is also a webform to send an IT help request in, which may be useful if you have a problem with your email but have a working web browser.
Email sent to @email gets automatically logged to an IT request tracker system (RT) and assigned a ticket ID. All members of the IT team read the mail sent to IT support, and RT allows us to allocate tasks easily and track progress on the problem. IT queries that are incorrectly sent to an individual IT officer's personal email address will generally be bounced (redirected) into RT.
When emailing IT support, please try to follow the guidelines below:
- Keep to one request per email, so we can assign and track each request separately, with a separate ticket ID.
- Make the subject meaningful. Subjects like "HELP!!!" are more likely to hinder us in solving your problem.
- When sending further info, include the ticket ID in the subject (in the form "[maths.ox.ac.uk #<ID>] <Subject>"), so your follow-up can be matched to the correct ticket. You can do this easily by replying to the "AutoReply" email from the system, or to any follow-up email from the IT staff, rather than to your original email.
- Include useful information such as:
- What machine/printer were you using? (machine name or number from asset sticker)
- Where is the machine/printer (e.g. S1.23)
- What were you doing when the error occurred?
- What was the exact error message?
- If the problem relates to a specific file, please state the location
- If the problem relates to a specific web page, please provide the URL of that page
The IT staff are real people and can be visited in person or phoned too:
- S0.40 - Zacarias Godinho - IT Technician - +44 1865 2-73629
- S2.43 - Ilias Kozadinos - Systems Administrator - +44 1865 6-15350
- S2.44 - Roozbeh Jamali - Systems Administrator - +44 1865 6-15300
- S0.41 - Matthew Brechin - Senior Systems Administrator - +44 1865 2-73517
- S3.19 - Dave Miller - Full-Stack Development Lead - +44 1865 6-15170
- S4.18 - Waldemar Schlackow - Head of IT - +44 1865 2-80610
- S3.18 - Keith Gillow - Director of IT and Physical Resources - +44 1865 2-80605
However, if you report a problem in person / by phone and it cannot be answered on the spot, it is quite likely you will be asked to log the request by sending clear details to @email.
For further information on the request system and IT strategy see the IT Notices and Policies.