Collaborator Facilities

IT Facilities

Collaborators should have appropriate IT facilities and services provided by their home institution / primary department or employer.

In particular this should include access to relevant journals and software that will typically need to be licensed.  In general such licenses are to cover members of the institution only and as such do not cover access/use by a collaborator even if such a collaborate was given an IT account which might technically make such access possible (e.g. to enable remote access to compute machines which also then contain licensed software or enable access to a journal portal or VPN connection to access a journal as if based in Oxford).

Whilst such IT facilities will often also have an associated email address, in general a collaborator granted such IT facilities should only use that email address for legitimate correspondence with the university/department and otherwise use their normal institution/department email to be clear in general correspondence where they are primarily based.

Network connection when attending a meeting does not require any local IT account. Network connection can be obtain via Eduroam or The Cloud wifi services in the building.

It could still be the case that common IT facilities are required, e.g. to be able to run computational code on the same system.

Given the above if you do still have a need for a collaborator to have local IT facilities access then please outline the need in an email to @email (and attach a completed IT facilities application form if they do not currently have, or have recently had, a maths IT account).

Accounts for external collaborators will typically only be issued for up to 1 year in the first instance. Whilst such an account may then be extended,  if the collaboration continues for longer that collaboration should be looking to ensure there are sufficient compute resources at either end and not expect to rely long term on facilities provided by or hosted in the department. Where group or project specific compute resources are hosted at Oxford with the intent of involving significant levels of external collaborator use then those resources may be more suitably based in ARC utilising its supported mechanisms for fully costed hosting, resource sharing, and external collaborator access.

University Card

In general a university card is only granted to members of the university (which can include visitors based here for more than a week). A university card gives status and service within the wider university such as central IT facilities, library and journal access etc. Such a card is not generally appropriate for a collaborator who should not need these facilities nor appear to hold such status.

Building Access

In general external collaborators will only be coming to the department for discrete infrequent days for working hours meetings. Access during such visits is via reception who will buzz the individual in through the relevant wing door. On the rare occasion that such a meeting extends over a few days or out of hours, and reception granted access is not workable, then a temporary white access card may be granted for that period via reception.

If such a collaborator attends the department very regularly, typically weekly, then they may be issued with a suitable access card to retain between visits and better facilitate the very frequent working hours access.

If such a very frequent visiting collaborator is actually a member of wider university then this basic working hours building access will be added to their university card instead (i.e. if they are coming to the building on a weekly basis).

For more information see the building access control policy.

Desk Space

It should be exceptionally rare that such a collaborator needs desk space whilst here for a collaboration meeting. As such a collaborator will not generally be granted desk space. If such a collaborator comes to the department frequently (such that they are granted an access card to keep between visits) and occasionally needs a desk for an hour or more then they can be granted access to the hot desking room S0.32. Equally it is often more practical for them to simply sit and work in the pleasant mezzanine space where there is good space and wifi access.

Please contact us with feedback and comments about this page. Last updated on 12 May 2024 14:49.